Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I knew from the third date.

I sometimes think about how you've become my best friend, 
how you know exactly what to say
 to make the corners of my lips turn up, 
how we've prayed, planned and promised our way to this friendship.

I sometimes think about the way you ask about my day, 
how I know that the answer is crucial to your own well-being. 
I think about how I've hinged my life to yours, 
how your hand is the only one I will ever want to hold.

I sometimes think about how easy it was for me to say yes to you,
how I knew from the third date,
you were driving me home in your little red car
and all I wanted was to listen to you talk forever.

I sometimes think about how we used to be strangers,
just two people with pasts and futures wholly unknown,
how I had no idea, absolutely no clue
that I was somehow living without you




No comments:

Post a Comment